Old  January 12th, 2018, 3:37pm     #1
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

Facebook Changes That Could Be Positive For Sweepers
This article itself doesn't have anything to do with sweeps but has me smiling or maybe not. Facebook is supposedly working on changing to focus more on people and their family & friends and taking the spotlight off of corporations, businesses and ads. They say that they understand it will probably mean people spend less time on Facebook but they think it's worth it.

I don't know how much I believe that Mark Zuckerberg is willing to lose that much in profits, just because he feels that human interaction is more valuable to people, but if he is going to do this for altruistic reasons, then good for him. And maybe good for us. Companies less able to easily put sweeps on Facebook, fewer non-sweepers seeing the sweeps and entering. Or on the other hand maybe just fewer sweeps in general, but maybe going back to fewer small sweeps and more of the big extravaganza sweeps on their site. Not sure yet how it would work out but I'm going to be hopeful about it. I might even be able to delete my Facebook account.

Quote:
Facebook is gearing up to make some major changes to your news feed.

The planned changes, which focus on reducing the number of public posts from businesses, brands, and media, were outlined on Thursday in a personal message from Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg said that feedback from the Facebook community suggests public content is “crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other,” and as a result he intends to overhaul the feed to address the imbalance.

In a comment that will surprise some — not least advertisers keen to reach the site’s massive community — the CEO said the changes mean users will likely spend less time on Facebook, and less time looking at public content, but he hopes the flip side of that will be that time spent on the site will feel “more valuable.”

Zuckerberg said the company began making changes in this direction last year, “but it will take months for this new focus to make its way through all our products. The first changes you’ll see will be in news feed, where you can expect to see more from your friends, family, and groups.”
https://www.digitaltrends.com/social...gn=daily-brief
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 3:58pm     #2
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I'm sure it's an angle.

This is a person who, when he first set up facebook, thought it would be amusing to name which farm animal the people posting their photos looked like.

Yeah, like he's Adonis.
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 4:15pm     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I was wondering, but then thought that those where you share to enter sweeps end up bothering your friends and family more since they will be "important"

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 4:56pm     #4
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Unfortunately I have no idea what a non-sweeper's wall or feed look like. I did find that cutting friends back from 1,000+ to 450+ made my feed more useful and starring those whose feed I wanted to see first also is a plus. Guess we just wait and see.

My Wins
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 10:41pm     #5
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
I'm sure it's an angle.

This is a person who, when he first set up facebook, thought it would be amusing to name which farm animal the people posting their photos looked like.

Yeah, like he's Adonis.
I definitely question his motivations. It may have to do with the government wanting to hit social websites with more government regulations due to the whole Russia fiasco. And might be just trying to evade all of that.

But whatever his reasoning, I'm really interested in seeing how it all shakes out for sweeping. I have always been a very reluctant Facebook user and if the corporate aspect is taken away I will not be on Facebook anymore. Yeah! Sweepers have to go where the sweeps are but I've never really been comfortable with the Facebook thing. Twitter for some reason just doesn't bother me as much,
  Old  January 13th, 2018, 9:52am     #6
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Seems like sweepers are always adapting to something new.
  Old  January 13th, 2018, 11:11am     #7
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

I remember back when they first started have sweeps on the internet. When I got my first computer the HGTV Dream Home was just starting to announce on it's TV ads that you could enter online. And that got me curious and searching for other sweeps.

AOL had a forum that was a lot of old school snail sweepers who were doing basically what we all do, bemoaning the loss of their hobby, saying that with all of the sweeps online more people would see them and make winning harder. lol It's deja vu all over again.
  Old  January 13th, 2018, 12:17pm     #8
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
I'm sure it's an angle.

Yeah, like he's Adonis.

memebase.cheezburger.com/totallylookslike/tag/mark-zuckerberg

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  January 13th, 2018, 2:02pm     #9
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

you're too funny
  Old  January 14th, 2018, 7:26am     #10
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
you're too funny

thanks - anything for a laugh.

Everything is funny, depends on how you look at it.
(As long as one is not malicious.)

The other day I was driving to the dentist and heard a news bit on CBS radio - I love getting my news from them ... headlines, a few sentences and done. No arguing, no politics, no emotions.

Anyway, the headline was "man trapped in freezer frees self with a 3-lb frozen sausage."

I nearly lost control of myself laughing. I said to Ken, "they don't even need to describe it further. The headline is enough."

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  January 14th, 2018, 10:31am     #11
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

The bottom one is best.