Old  October 23rd, 2017, 12:51pm     #4261
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
This is the time of year when the chickens are penned up for half a day. Come Nov 1st, they will be penned up all the time, until May 1st.

Half the year, they're free-range birds, the other half, jail birds. There is a lot of moaning and griping the first few days of Nov. Not a happy lot. But the grass needs to recover, or at least, not have all the roots dug up and eaten.

Anyway, today Ken freed them around 2 pm. I was in the house and when it was time to go out to clean the coop, I tossed a quart of wild bird seed out the window so I could exit through the back doors without being mobbed. Without distracting them, I risk losing my equilibrium and falling on them.

So with them being occupied with the bird seed, I leave the house and start slowly walking to the coop. I have to move slow to avoid injury and allow healing.

When I arrived at the front of the coop, I noticed that Molly was right by my side. She was now waiting for me to open the big door. Like I said, I move slow these days.

Obviously too slow for Molly, so she took off.

I removed the padlock, turned the hasp lock and opened the door.

And standing right there on the other side was Molly. She was so eager to go inside with me, she ran around to the side of the coop and entered through the pop door.

It wasn't that she was eager to go in the coop ... she was eager to be in there with me. So she figured out an alternative way to be where she wanted to be when I entered the coop. She had already anticipated what I was going to do next.

Think about that. Molly certainly did. Not even 9 months old and she is already an expert in deductive reasoning.

I can't even say that about my kids when they were 3 years old.

What a world this would be if people were smart and disciplined like chickens.
The reason I have always liked chickens is because of how smart they are. I'm living in a place now that allowed livestock when we bought the place. There were some rules like one horse per acre which is understandable.

Then we had a bunch of City Slickers move in and they started a HOA. I was the secretary for awhile. We had a guy move in thet had fighting cokks. He had about 50 different metal a-frames with a FC tethered to each one. We lived about a half a mile from his house and could hear them loud and clear at all times of the day and night.

I can only imagine how bad it was for all the people living next to him and across from him. Each lot is about 2 acres.

At one of the HOA meetings, one of the people was frantic talking about the noise and the huge pile of poop. And the flies. OMG the flies. I was kinda laughing under my breath and thinking some of that poop would be nice for the compost.

Anyway they banned livestock. All the people that already had horses and such got a grandfather clause but were told they couldn't get any new ones.

Lucky me had to send notices to the FC guy and tell him he had 30 days to get rid of them or get fined $100 a day. He did.

Eventually I'm going to get some hens anyway. I love fresh eggs. I have a spot where nobody will be able to see them unless they come into the back of the property. As long as there aren't any roosters I should be o.k.
  Old  October 23rd, 2017, 1:00pm     #4262
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

This is Long but Interesting!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
  Old  October 23rd, 2017, 1:04pm     #4263
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

A small coop for about 3-6 hens is very doable. Little work, or noise, but plenty of eggs for you. Not to mention the entertainment value and the fact that chickens help one's sanity.

The news is crazy these days, but I get to go outside and spend time in Shangri-La with a bunch of highly functional ladies. It really helps my spirits.

Remember ... wherever chickens are outlawed, only outlaws will have chickens.

Last edited by duknuk; October 23rd, 2017 at 4:11pm.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  October 23rd, 2017, 1:08pm     #4264
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c06xOF4uQ8

--- interesting and enjoyable. I saw this a while back, but will watch it again.

In answer to the question, why chickens were domesticated ... we have cock-fighting to thank for that.
Cock-fighting was the sport of royalty in the beginning.
It is the very beginning of people keeping chickens. And roos must have a mate.

A very interesting book ... (despite a few errors) is,
Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization - by Andrew Lawler.

Old  October 23rd, 2017, 2:17pm     #4265
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
The reason I have always liked chickens is because of how smart they are. I'm living in a place now that allowed livestock when we bought the place. There were some rules like one horse per acre which is understandable.

Then we had a bunch of City Slickers move in and they started a HOA. I was the secretary for awhile. We had a guy move in thet had fighting cokks. He had about 50 different metal a-frames with a FC tethered to each one. We lived about a half a mile from his house and could hear them loud and clear at all times of the day and night.

I can only imagine how bad it was for all the people living next to him and across from him. Each lot is about 2 acres.

At one of the HOA meetings, one of the people was frantic talking about the noise and the huge pile of poop. And the flies. OMG the flies. I was kinda laughing under my breath and thinking some of that poop would be nice for the compost.

Anyway they banned livestock. All the people that already had horses and such got a grandfather clause but were told they couldn't get any new ones.

Lucky me had to send notices to the FC guy and tell him he had 30 days to get rid of them or get fined $100 a day. He did.

Eventually I'm going to get some hens anyway. I love fresh eggs. I have a spot where nobody will be able to see them unless they come into the back of the property. As long as there aren't any roosters I should be o.k.
This is hindsight, but did you try to talk to city council about limiting the number, or for personal eggs? I know our city allow layers for family use, not aware of any limits on number.
  Old  October 23rd, 2017, 3:07pm     #4266
clebar
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
This is the time of year when the chickens are penned up for half a day. Come Nov 1st, they will be penned up all the time, until May 1st.

Half the year, they're free-range birds, the other half, jail birds. There is a lot of moaning and griping the first few days of Nov. Not a happy lot. But the grass needs to recover, or at least, not have all the roots dug up and eaten.

Anyway, today Ken freed them around 2 pm. I was in the house and when it was time to go out to clean the coop, I tossed a quart of wild bird seed out the window so I could exit through the back doors without being mobbed. Without distracting them, I risk losing my equilibrium and falling on them.

So with them being occupied with the bird seed, I leave the house and start slowly walking to the coop. I have to move slow to avoid injury and allow healing.

When I arrived at the front of the coop, I noticed that Molly was right by my side. She was now waiting for me to open the big door. Like I said, I move slow these days.

Obviously too slow for Molly, so she took off.

I removed the padlock, turned the hasp lock and opened the door.

And standing right there on the other side was Molly. She was so eager to go inside with me, she ran around to the side of the coop and entered through the pop door.

It wasn't that she was eager to go in the coop ... she was eager to be in there with me. So she figured out an alternative way to be where she wanted to be when I entered the coop. She had already anticipated what I was going to do next.

Think about that. Molly certainly did. Not even 9 months old and she is already an expert in deductive reasoning.

I can't even say that about my kids when they were 3 years old.

What a world this would be if people were smart and disciplined like chickens.

I just Love this story. Molly sounds like such a sweetheart!

www.swagbucks.com/refer/reowreow
  Old  October 23rd, 2017, 4:09pm     #4267
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebar View Post
I just Love this story. Molly sounds like such a sweetheart!
As she was standing there when I opened the door, looking up at me, she had a look of, and I'm just guessing here, being quite pleased with herself.

She's figured out how to lay eggs and now she expects to lay one every day. Today she spent an hour in a nest with 3 brown eggs, hoping, I guess, to add her own. But it wasn't to be. I took the eggs and she left the nest. I told her, tomorrow is another lay.

Old  October 23rd, 2017, 4:32pm     #4268
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

well done!

Old  October 23rd, 2017, 5:56pm     #4269
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
This is hindsight, but did you try to talk to city council about limiting the number, or for personal eggs? I know our city allow layers for family use, not aware of any limits on number.
We are not in the city so any farm animals we want we can have according to the county. We are a very small gated community about 20 2 acre lots on a dead end road. One way in and one way out. The whole thing is in a rural area. It's the Home Owners Association that made up the rules. A comment was even made that they wouldn't get upset about someone having some hens for eggs. Around 6 is what I'm thinking.

We also had some people that fenced their property in and moved 4 horses onto the less than 2 acres. They didn't live there, there was no house yet. They left those horses without food and water for up to 5 days and we are talking August in South Texas when the temps and well over 100 degrees. A lot of us hauled water and food to them. They didn't even have any running water on the property.

I didn't feel bad at all calling the sheriff and reporting them. They came out cut the locks off the gate and hauled them out of there. The guy never got them back either.

It was that and the FC's that caused them to make the new rules. The HOA is headed by some really nice folks and they don't harass anyone unless you are doing something really out there. It's so relaxed we haven't even had a meeting in 2 years! We just call meeting when something serious is going on. Been here 17 years and we have had a total of 5 meetings.
  Old  October 24th, 2017, 9:23pm     #4270
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Every. Single. Time.

Old  October 24th, 2017, 10:03pm     #4271
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Every. Single. Time.

That's hilarious!
  Old  October 25th, 2017, 3:52pm     #4272
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

BREAKING NEWS

Reporting to you from Long Island, this is EyeWitless News …

We’re speaking with Ms. duknuk who just witnessed a very rare event. Something very few chicken owners have ever seen, (but when they do, they rarely call up the News station.)

Tell us Ms. duknuk, exactly what did you see? (and try not to ramble too much.)

“Well, we had a field mouse in the house last week and it took three days to catch it with a Sticky Board.”

This is why you called us?

“Oh no, that’s just for comparison’s sake.

So, what did you see? We don’t have all day you know.

“Ok, so the girls are penned up in the back now. I had to deprive them of lawn access because they had eaten every single blade of grass down to 1/8th of an inch. If I had let them out today, they’d be eating the roots.”

Please, get to the point!

“yeah ok … I’m sitting in the coop on the shed side, looking past the inner door and out into the pen area, through the pop-door, when I see a field mouse race into the coop, right towards me. I barely had time to shriek, when hot on its tail, three hens came tearing into the coop after it.

The little guy didn’t even make it 4 feet into the coop, before someone pecked it and stopped it in its tracks. It only took ten minutes before there was nothing left but a tail.”

Well, that’s quite a tale, Ms. duknuk. But why did you tell us about the mouse in the house?

“Because now I understand why the house mouse came in. It wasn’t safe outside.”

Thank you, Ms. duknuk, for this very compelling, even epic, story.

Reporting live from the backyard coop, this is EyeWitless News, where sometimes you have lunch, and sometimes you are lunch.

Old  October 25th, 2017, 4:51pm     #4273
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I swear, you need to compile this thread into a memoir.
I'd buy it!
  Old  October 26th, 2017, 10:27am     #4274
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
I swear, you need to compile this thread into a memoir.
I'd buy it!
Yep! Love the Eyewitness News Report lmao!
  Old  October 26th, 2017, 11:04am     #4275
HelenR
Master Sweeper

That mouse tale reminds me of the time I saw a very small baby mouse run out from somewhere; maybe a cat was after it. But there were chickens in the area. The hens spotted it, and one reacted very quickly and gulped that mouse down in one bite! I was shocked since I didn't know a hen would eat a mouse.

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex