Old  August 23rd, 2017, 10:25pm     #4141
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
Did you get your next batch of juvies??
I did - about two weeks ago. Haven't taken any photos yet. Back spasms are limiting what I do and cleaning the coop each day is about all I can do. Once my hip stops dislocating and the spasms stop I will take some photos.

In the meantime, I got 2 beautiful white leghorns, 3 Black Australorps, 2 Plymouth Rocks and 2 red sex-links on Aug 7. Got them from The Barn, who got them from Pennsylvania. They are the picture of health and very well adjusted.

Bringing 9 pullets into a flock of 19 worked out very smooth. There were too many newbies for any older hen to want to pick a fight with. The newbies knew to keep their distance, but after 2 weeks, they are mingling nicely - no fighting, just the occasional peck and sometimes the peck comes from one of the new ones.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 24th, 2017, 12:57am     #4142
jas11563 is offline
jas11563
Master Sweeper
 
jas11563's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,132
Location: Holbrook, NY
Oh no, so sorry to hear you are not a full strength!
Please take care and follow therapist's advice.

Glad the flock is still doing well in Lindenhurst.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 24th, 2017, 9:56am     #4143
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Thanks Jas.

I'm seeing the chiropractor every Friday, until my hip learns to stay put.

It's amazing how much it affects the muscles in the back when it's out of place.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:56am     #4144
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
What a nice surprise to see this headline on drudge today ...

The new family pet dog: Beloved chickens...

http://www.latimes.com/style/pets/la...827-story.html

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:04am     #4145
Marilyn is offline
Marilyn
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member
 
Marilyn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,414
Location: HI USA
Hope you are feeling better and stronger soon.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:14am     #4146
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Yes, I am feeling better. When the chiropractor puts my hip back in I have no pain and no need for 2 canes.

If only it would stay in, but that will take time. Because I am missing a muscle on one side (iliac area -below the lumbar) it makes it harder for my hip joint to stay put.

What started this was missing a chiro appt a couple of months ago - a blizzard if I remember, then doc took a vacation. So I ended up with a 6 week interval. Bad results, very bad.

I'm going twice a week now (he doesn't charge for the 2nd adjustment each week) and I have hope the muscles will adjust again.

But boy oh boy, when that baby dislocates it sends spasms up my side ... only freezer packs calm that crap down.

As soon as I can, I'll take the camera outside, bring some mixed bird seed and mealworms out and gather them in an area for a photo shoot.

I have 28 birds now and they are gorgeous. Well, except for the ones going through a hard molt, but I expect they will have their new feathers by the time I'm able to walk around with only one cane and a camera in the other.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 1:33pm     #4147
bomar97 is offline
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper
 
bomar97's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 21,102
Location: Upper Central/Lower Northern/sometimes Downeast ME
Hope you're back in shape soon!

Your chickens are molting? They'd be running to put on a sweater up here!!!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 2:57pm     #4148
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Hope you're back in shape soon!

Your chickens are molting? They'd be running to put on a sweater up here!!!
cute.

but ... since you are way up north, they would have responded to the shortened light and temps and would have started their molt earlier. They're adaptable like that.


Thanks for the wellness thoughts.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 3:31pm     #4149
jas11563 is offline
jas11563
Master Sweeper
 
jas11563's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,132
Location: Holbrook, NY
I don't know, Dorothy!??

It was sweater weather down here last night, several people pulled out the Fire Pits!

August on Long Island is not normally known for it 56 degree nights! 96 yes!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 9:43pm     #4150
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
I don't know, Dorothy!??

It was sweater weather down here last night, several people pulled out the Fire Pits!

August on Long Island is not normally known for it 56 degree nights! 96 yes!
Yes! It seems every summer is cooler than the last. I have an oscillating fan in the coop and each year I've needed to use it less and less. This summer ... not at all.

We're probably going to pay for it this winter though.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:26pm     #4151
jas11563 is offline
jas11563
Master Sweeper
 
jas11563's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,132
Location: Holbrook, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Yes! It seems every summer is cooler than the last. I have an oscillating fan in the coop and each year I've needed to use it less and less. This summer ... not at all.

We're probably going to pay for it this winter though. :smile:
That's what the almanac says, bitter cold winter.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:49pm     #4152
clebar is offline
clebar
Grand Master Sweeper
 
clebar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Yes, I am feeling better. When the chiropractor puts my hip back in I have no pain and no need for 2 canes.

If only it would stay in, but that will take time. Because I am missing a muscle on one side (iliac area -below the lumbar) it makes it harder for my hip joint to stay put.

What started this was missing a chiro appt a couple of months ago - a blizzard if I remember, then doc took a vacation. So I ended up with a 6 week interval. Bad results, very bad.

I'm going twice a week now (he doesn't charge for the 2nd adjustment each week) and I have hope the muscles will adjust again.

But boy oh boy, when that baby dislocates it sends spasms up my side ... only freezer packs calm that crap down.

As soon as I can, I'll take the camera outside, bring some mixed bird seed and mealworms out and gather them in an area for a photo shoot.

I have 28 birds now and they are gorgeous. Well, except for the ones going through a hard molt, but I expect they will have their new feathers by the time I'm able to walk around with only one cane and a camera in the other.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

www.swagbucks.com/refer/reowreow
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:33pm     #4153
mcclave is offline
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper
 
mcclave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 31,288
Breaks My Heart...
to hear you are suffering. But glad to hear the doc is able to give you some relief. Can't wait to see the photos.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 28th, 2017, 9:06am     #4154
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clebar View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon.
thanks - I will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
to hear you are suffering. But glad to hear the doc is able to give you some relief. Can't wait to see the photos.
I can't wait to see the photos either.

My problems are nothing - just an inconvenience to taking photos of my girls. Now you want to hear of problems? There's this fellow named Harvey ... and I thought Sandy was bad.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 11:07am     #4155
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,744
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
I have 4 leghorns. They are gorgeous, snowy white girls with fantastic fan tails. Two of them are less than a year old.

Two days ago, the older of the youngest leghorns went into the coop to lay an egg. The youngest hasn't begun laying yet.

I watched as the older one went into a nest, followed by the younger one who jumped up on a storage bucket right in front of the nest and watched her older mate.

She watched as the older hen adjusted the nest and made herself comfortable. The older hen settled in while waiting for her egg to come down.

The younger one stood on the bucket watching everything.

After a while, the older hen stood up and pushed out an egg. She waited a moment, then reached under herself and rolled the egg forward so she could sit on it for a while.

When she was satisfied, she left the coop and I removed the egg.


I watched as the younger one jumped into another nest and sat down, just like the older one had. She waited a bit, then stood up and checked underneath to see if there was an egg. Nothing. She sat down again, waited a bit and checked again. Still nothing.

So she decided to leave the nest. She jumped down on the bucket and then on to the floor and walked over to me. She looked me right in the eye and while I was talking to her, an egg fell out of her. It was very small and perfectly formed. She didn't seem to realize what happened and wandered off.

She laid another egg yesterday, this time in a nest. I think she's got it figured out now.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:34am.