Old  August 23rd, 2017, 10:25pm     #4141
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
Did you get your next batch of juvies??
I did - about two weeks ago. Haven't taken any photos yet. Back spasms are limiting what I do and cleaning the coop each day is about all I can do. Once my hip stops dislocating and the spasms stop I will take some photos.

In the meantime, I got 2 beautiful white leghorns, 3 Black Australorps, 2 Plymouth Rocks and 2 red sex-links on Aug 7. Got them from The Barn, who got them from Pennsylvania. They are the picture of health and very well adjusted.

Bringing 9 pullets into a flock of 19 worked out very smooth. There were too many newbies for any older hen to want to pick a fight with. The newbies knew to keep their distance, but after 2 weeks, they are mingling nicely - no fighting, just the occasional peck and sometimes the peck comes from one of the new ones.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  August 24th, 2017, 12:57am     #4142
jas11563
Master Sweeper

Oh no, so sorry to hear you are not a full strength!
Please take care and follow therapist's advice.

Glad the flock is still doing well in Lindenhurst.
  Old  August 24th, 2017, 9:56am     #4143
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks Jas.

I'm seeing the chiropractor every Friday, until my hip learns to stay put.

It's amazing how much it affects the muscles in the back when it's out of place.

Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:56am     #4144
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

What a nice surprise to see this headline on drudge today ...

The new family pet dog: Beloved chickens...

http://www.latimes.com/style/pets/la...827-story.html

Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:04am     #4145
Marilyn
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Hope you are feeling better and stronger soon.
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:14am     #4146
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Yes, I am feeling better. When the chiropractor puts my hip back in I have no pain and no need for 2 canes.

If only it would stay in, but that will take time. Because I am missing a muscle on one side (iliac area -below the lumbar) it makes it harder for my hip joint to stay put.

What started this was missing a chiro appt a couple of months ago - a blizzard if I remember, then doc took a vacation. So I ended up with a 6 week interval. Bad results, very bad.

I'm going twice a week now (he doesn't charge for the 2nd adjustment each week) and I have hope the muscles will adjust again.

But boy oh boy, when that baby dislocates it sends spasms up my side ... only freezer packs calm that crap down.

As soon as I can, I'll take the camera outside, bring some mixed bird seed and mealworms out and gather them in an area for a photo shoot.

I have 28 birds now and they are gorgeous. Well, except for the ones going through a hard molt, but I expect they will have their new feathers by the time I'm able to walk around with only one cane and a camera in the other.

Old  August 27th, 2017, 1:33pm     #4147
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Hope you're back in shape soon!

Your chickens are molting? They'd be running to put on a sweater up here!!!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 2:57pm     #4148
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Hope you're back in shape soon!

Your chickens are molting? They'd be running to put on a sweater up here!!!
cute.

but ... since you are way up north, they would have responded to the shortened light and temps and would have started their molt earlier. They're adaptable like that.

Thanks for the wellness thoughts.

Old  August 27th, 2017, 3:31pm     #4149
jas11563
Master Sweeper

I don't know, Dorothy!??

It was sweater weather down here last night, several people pulled out the Fire Pits!

August on Long Island is not normally known for it 56 degree nights! 96 yes!
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 9:43pm     #4150
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
I don't know, Dorothy!??

It was sweater weather down here last night, several people pulled out the Fire Pits!

August on Long Island is not normally known for it 56 degree nights! 96 yes!
Yes! It seems every summer is cooler than the last. I have an oscillating fan in the coop and each year I've needed to use it less and less. This summer ... not at all.

We're probably going to pay for it this winter though.

Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:26pm     #4151
jas11563
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Yes! It seems every summer is cooler than the last. I have an oscillating fan in the coop and each year I've needed to use it less and less. This summer ... not at all.

We're probably going to pay for it this winter though. :smile:
That's what the almanac says, bitter cold winter.
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 10:49pm     #4152
clebar
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Yes, I am feeling better. When the chiropractor puts my hip back in I have no pain and no need for 2 canes.

If only it would stay in, but that will take time. Because I am missing a muscle on one side (iliac area -below the lumbar) it makes it harder for my hip joint to stay put.

What started this was missing a chiro appt a couple of months ago - a blizzard if I remember, then doc took a vacation. So I ended up with a 6 week interval. Bad results, very bad.

I'm going twice a week now (he doesn't charge for the 2nd adjustment each week) and I have hope the muscles will adjust again.

But boy oh boy, when that baby dislocates it sends spasms up my side ... only freezer packs calm that crap down.

As soon as I can, I'll take the camera outside, bring some mixed bird seed and mealworms out and gather them in an area for a photo shoot.

I have 28 birds now and they are gorgeous. Well, except for the ones going through a hard molt, but I expect they will have their new feathers by the time I'm able to walk around with only one cane and a camera in the other.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

www.swagbucks.com/refer/reowreow
  Old  August 27th, 2017, 11:33pm     #4153
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Breaks My Heart...
to hear you are suffering. But glad to hear the doc is able to give you some relief. Can't wait to see the photos.
  Old  August 28th, 2017, 9:06am     #4154
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebar View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon.
thanks - I will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
to hear you are suffering. But glad to hear the doc is able to give you some relief. Can't wait to see the photos.
I can't wait to see the photos either.

My problems are nothing - just an inconvenience to taking photos of my girls. Now you want to hear of problems? There's this fellow named Harvey ... and I thought Sandy was bad.

Old  September 23rd, 2017, 11:07am     #4155
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

I have 4 leghorns. They are gorgeous, snowy white girls with fantastic fan tails. Two of them are less than a year old.

Two days ago, the older of the youngest leghorns went into the coop to lay an egg. The youngest hasn't begun laying yet.

I watched as the older one went into a nest, followed by the younger one who jumped up on a storage bucket right in front of the nest and watched her older mate.

She watched as the older hen adjusted the nest and made herself comfortable. The older hen settled in while waiting for her egg to come down.

The younger one stood on the bucket watching everything.

After a while, the older hen stood up and pushed out an egg. She waited a moment, then reached under herself and rolled the egg forward so she could sit on it for a while.

When she was satisfied, she left the coop and I removed the egg.

I watched as the younger one jumped into another nest and sat down, just like the older one had. She waited a bit, then stood up and checked underneath to see if there was an egg. Nothing. She sat down again, waited a bit and checked again. Still nothing.

So she decided to leave the nest. She jumped down on the bucket and then on to the floor and walked over to me. She looked me right in the eye and while I was talking to her, an egg fell out of her. It was very small and perfectly formed. She didn't seem to realize what happened and wandered off.

She laid another egg yesterday, this time in a nest. I think she's got it figured out now.

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex