Grand Master Sweeper

Pickles by Brian Crane

• December 12, 2014

like this? ...

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  December 13th, 2014, 5:58pm     #3542
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

I guess I've been hanging out with chickens for the better part of my life.

I was in the coop today, finally feeling healed enough to do the daily cleaning without fearing more spasms.

I was bent over, very close to one of the feeders. In fact, I guess I was blocking access.

So with my back toward it, I hear Gretchen, (yep I know who they are by their voice) who has entered the coop and is standing behind me, say, "berrp ber buh berp." I quickly moved away from the feeder and heard myself say, "sorry."

And then it struck me ... I'm bilingual.

I didn't have to think about what she said.

All I heard was, "move."

Old  December 15th, 2014, 10:42am     #3543
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

These 3 young Damm girls have started laying. Usually a red sex-link lays by the 17th week, but it's been 22 weeks for these babies. That is not necessarily a bad thing. The slower a chicken develops, usually the hardier it will be. And these girls are longer than the usual hybrid. So they won't have the oviduct/internal laying problems of the shorted bodied sex-links.

All in all they are the picture of health.

Two days ago, one of them came in, examined every nook and cranny in the coop and left a nice sized pullet egg in a nest.

Yesterday, the other two came in and explored everywhere. They watched Lucy,one of my older girls, as she was nesting. Lucy usually growls (freaks out) when anyone comes near her, but she was quiet and calm as the little ones got close and poked their heads into her nest to see what was up.

It was fun watching them yesterday go all around the coop, talking to each other. Wish I could have understood that conversation!

But today, we got an egg from one of them, plus an egg from the first layer.

It is also a nice size, but still too small to sell. Still, it frees up the larger eggs for sale, as we can use the pullet eggs here.

Old  December 15th, 2014, 11:29am     #3544
NAL027
Senior Master Sweeper

I find your chickens interesting :-) Do you have to keep the coop heated? I would think they would freeze to death in the winter. (I know nothing about chickens except for eggs and cutlets) LOL

- MY WIN LIST -

Old  December 15th, 2014, 12:49pm     #3545
LaLaaLaaa
Master Sweeper

Stopping by to say I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better and wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas

I would give anything I own. Give up my life, my heart, my home. I would give everything I own Just to have you back again, just to touch you once again. I miss you Dad.
  Old  December 15th, 2014, 2:11pm     #3546
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL027 View Post
I find your chickens interesting :-) Do you have to keep the coop heated? I would think they would freeze to death in the winter. (I know nothing about chickens except for eggs and cutlets) LOL
Chickens handle very cold temps a lot better than very hot temps. I've had hens die from the heat but never from the cold. I also have "cold tolerant" breeds.

One doesn't need to heat a coop. As long as there are no drafts or high moisture levels (from poop) the chickens won't get frostbite.

They have down coats, and the fall molt gives them feathers that have an additional feather at it's base. If you look at one of them from the side, it looks like a . They are super warm. Only their feet are in danger if they are out in the snow too long. Then frostbite can claim a toe. Their combs are subject to frostbite if it is in the low 20's.

But at night, my girls are on a cedar 2"x4", so their feathers and body heat (106ºF. ) keep their toes covered. I don't use a round perch because then their toes would be under it and exposed.

They tuck their heads under their right wing when sleeping so that keeps their comb and wattles and earlobes warm.

Still, in the coop I have a metal light fixture with a bulb so their days can be 14 hours, which is normal for them. I have it on a metal chain attached to a very large nail driven deep into an overhead beam. So whatever hangs is safe. When the weather is in the 20's during the day and teens at night, I switch out the 40w. bulb and put in a red 250w radiant heat lamp bulb. It doesn't heat the coop, just takes some of the extreme chill out by making the solid objects warmish, and that helps keep my fingers from freezing when I clean the coop.

I wouldn't want them to go into a heated coop, air wise, only to begin the day in sub-zero temps. They would get sick very fast.

Old  December 15th, 2014, 2:19pm     #3547
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaaLaaa View Post
Stopping by to say I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better and wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you too.

Thank you, the back spasms stopped a week ago and I'm just dealing with a little extra pain when my sacro-iliac muscle was removed 46 years ago. Almost back to a normal level.

I'll tell you those spasms were agony. I was despairing about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It felt like a heavy axe was being swung into the area, repeatedly. No pills were effective, but the best thing was a cold pack for 15 minutes every hour until they stopped. The cold really calmed the smaller muscles down.

My chiro said, during surgery the nurses adjust the body as they need it. When one doesn't have the large muscle down there, the little ones get stretched beyond their ability. Also I'm older, so spasms are more likely anyway.

I also learned the sacro-iliac is the Grand Central hub for all nerve bundles. Which explains why I couldn't raise my eyebrows or wiggle my toes without horrible pain coming from that area.

Well, thankfully, after nearly 3 months of that nonsense (it started mid-Sept), enough healing occurred to free me from spasms.

As for the surgery ... a piece of cake. That DaVinci method is amazing. I don't feel like I had surgery, I don't feel like anything is missing, I just feel normal inside.

Old  December 15th, 2014, 8:09pm     #3548
Marilyn
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Cool
I'm glad you are feeling better. Happy Holidays!
  Old  December 15th, 2014, 8:34pm     #3549
NAL027
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Chickens handle very cold temps a lot better than very hot temps. I've had hens die from the heat but never from the cold. I also have "cold tolerant" breeds.

One doesn't need to heat a coop. As long as there are no drafts or high moisture levels (from poop) the chickens won't get frostbite.

They have down coats, and the fall molt gives them feathers that have an additional feather at it's base. If you look at one of them from the side, it looks like a . They are super warm. Only their feet are in danger if they are out in the snow too long. Then frostbite can claim a toe. Their combs are subject to frostbite if it is in the low 20's.

But at night, my girls are on a cedar 2"x4", so their feathers and body heat (106ºF. ) keep their toes covered. I don't use a round perch because then their toes would be under it and exposed.

They tuck their heads under their right wing when sleeping so that keeps their comb and wattles and earlobes warm.

Still, in the coop I have a metal light fixture with a bulb so their days can be 14 hours, which is normal for them. I have it on a metal chain attached to a very large nail driven deep into an overhead beam. So whatever hangs is safe. When the weather is in the 20's during the day and teens at night, I switch out the 40w. bulb and put in a red 250w radiant heat lamp bulb. It doesn't heat the coop, just takes some of the extreme chill out by making the solid objects warmish, and that helps keep my fingers from freezing when I clean the coop.

I wouldn't want them to go into a heated coop, air wise, only to begin the day in sub-zero temps. They would get sick very fast.
Boy, you really know your chickens :-) They are beautiful.
I'm glad that you're feeling better. I wish you and your family (chicks too ! ) a Very Happy Holiday and a Very Healthy New Year !

- MY WIN LIST -

Old  December 15th, 2014, 11:50pm     #3550
HelenR
Master Sweeper

Thought of you tonight while we were decorating our tree. I have 2 chicken ornaments. One is from a set put out by Avon a long time ago representing the Twelve Days of Christmas and the one I have is for "three French hens" showing a hen sitting on a holly wreath. The other is a cross stitch that I did in a little heart frame showing a hen with a wreath around her neck and a little chick sitting on her back. So happy you are feeling much better. Hope you and your family enjoy a happy Christmas!
  Old  December 16th, 2014, 7:46am     #3551
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

You too Helen. May your family have a fine holiday and a blessed new year.

I think of you often, when I'm outsidewith the girls - you have been such a help with that information you gave me about hawks needing room to take off. I made good use of it by getting rid of the "runway" areas of my yard with ladders and picnic table and umbrellas and we haven't had a problem since. You've saved many hens with that tip.

Old  December 16th, 2014, 2:32pm     #3552
LaLaaLaaa
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Merry Christmas to you too.

Thank you, the back spasms stopped a week ago and I'm just dealing with a little extra pain when my sacro-iliac muscle was removed 46 years ago. Almost back to a normal level.

I'll tell you those spasms were agony. I was despairing about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It felt like a heavy axe was being swung into the area, repeatedly. No pills were effective, but the best thing was a cold pack for 15 minutes every hour until they stopped. The cold really calmed the smaller muscles down.

My chiro said, during surgery the nurses adjust the body as they need it. When one doesn't have the large muscle down there, the little ones get stretched beyond their ability. Also I'm older, so spasms are more likely anyway.

I also learned the sacro-iliac is the Grand Central hub for all nerve bundles. Which explains why I couldn't raise my eyebrows or wiggle my toes without horrible pain coming from that area.

Well, thankfully, after nearly 3 months of that nonsense (it started mid-Sept), enough healing occurred to free me from spasms.

As for the surgery ... a piece of cake. That DaVinci method is amazing. I don't feel like I had surgery, I don't feel like anything is missing, I just feel normal inside.
So happy to read about your great news. My prayers sent out to you that you continue to improve each and every day.

I would give anything I own. Give up my life, my heart, my home. I would give everything I own Just to have you back again, just to touch you once again. I miss you Dad.
  Old  December 18th, 2014, 11:50am     #3553
HelenR
Master Sweeper

I don't think I was the one who gave you that information about the hawks needing an area big enough to "take off", but thanks for thinking of me!! Speaking of hawks, we saw one a couple of weeks ago take off with some small animal (squirrel maybe). It didn't need a lot of room to do that, but know chickens probably weigh a good bit more. We have lots of hawks in our neighborhood and someone brought snapshots of some of them to a holiday party we went to recently.
  Old  December 23rd, 2014, 7:29am     #3554
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Old  December 31st, 2014, 5:56pm     #3555
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

I like this.

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex